Monday 20 October 2008

Belvide and a pair at Upton

I've typed this in once, so alas it's going to be short this time. Maybe that's for the best!

Saturday was never going to be an early start, after sampling the delights of the Black Country Ale Festival, at the Coach & Horses, the night before. Keen to get my money's worth from my WMBC membership, I aimed for Belvide, which unlike Blithfield and Ladywalk, offers something decent for photographers.

It was a bit too cloudy for shots at the woodland feeders, so I headed to the feeder hide by the water, and was pleased to see nuthatches, marsh?, long-tailed, blue and great tits, chaffinches, a wren, a robin, pheasants, tree sparrows and a sparrowhawk making occasional sorties.



Down at the new hide, I could see the flock of golden plovers, but they were too far for anything other than a record shot. New bird for me though.


Heading back, I opted to drop into UW, and was pleased to be told that there was a Shore Lark over at the Flashes. I hot-footed it over, and found the hide as busy as when the Wilson's Phalarope was there - like a scrum!

Soon located the bird, and it was accompanied by a rock pipit - another rarity for the area. Unfortunately, the lark was too far for a decent shot, though Rob Smith with his 1600mm set up managed some good shots.

So in terms of new birds, I'd got 2 for the day, though in terms of images, the shots of the nuthatch had made my day. The gallery will be updated over this week, work permitting. I'll probably add some images in here too...

No comments: