Tuesday 16 December 2008

Tis the season to be hungover...

Friday saw the first of the Christmas work parties, which meant Saturday's birding would always be an effort. Coupled with the deluge, it turned into a day to make a fence, buy a Crimbo tree, stock up on bird seed, and nurse a hangover!

Sunday promised to be a brighter day, and I had planned to try to see SEOs again, but as usual, the clouds gathered, and the plan was ditched in favour of a more local trip to Upton Warren. Maybe I'd get lucky with one of the bitterns again.
Hmm... perhaps not. No sign of them, though there had been earlier on the Moors, with 2 flying around. In fact, it was one of those days when it seemed nothing would turn up. Moving to the West Hide, at least I was able to see some birds, if not get any decent pics. In the surrounding trees were masses of siskins, and although the feeders were somewhat flooded, there were the usual tits and finches buzzing around, and I managed a shot of a song thrush, a bird which seems to know how to avoid me mostly.

Highlight of the day was an attack by a peregrine (resulting in some woeful shots from me), zipping back and forth, but alas to no avail, and it left empty-talonned. A bit like me, apart from the talons, though I probably ought to cut my nails...

Christmas party number 2 arrives on this Friday, up in Manchester. Haven't decided if I'll take my camera with me, as it's not a million miles away from some interesting spots. Be a late decision me thinks. There's always Sunday...

And there's always the garden, though the resident robins are now coming so close to me, I can't get a shot. Might have to dig out the kit lens, or even macro at this rate.

No comments: